Power cords and retractile power cords provide power to everything from office computers and manufacturing machinery to medical devices. At Consolidated Electronic Wire & Cable, we are proud to offer a broad range of power supply and retractile cords designed to meet today’s varied and specialized electronic applications. Our cords are available in both stock and custom configurations for all common applications and appliances across many industries. Choosing the right cord for your needs is key to long-lasting, reliable performance.
Custom Power Cords
Power cords provide power to computers and other electrical equipment or machinery. Power cords are available in various lengths, cord sizes, and plug configurations to meet the domestic or international needs of commercial and OEM applications.
Every device has unique power needs and should have the wire gauge and voltage rating that’s appropriate for the electrical standard of the country or region and the power demands of the equipment. For example, USB cables and connectors are a popular choice for low voltage power demands, provide electricity to digital accessories and connect devices. For higher voltage and power demands of greater than 100 volts, it’s better to use a cable specifically designed for that purpose.
What Information Do I Need to Provide?
Consider the following factors to determine your optimal custom power cord solution:
- Male and female configurations: Male plugs and female connectors have certain codes that reflect their configuration, ensuring that you receive the correct cords. If you need help determining the code of your connector and plug, please contact us today.
- Global Requirements: Your manufacturer must understand the requirements of delivering power and retractile cord options to a global market that has no uniform standards. For example, North America (Canada, United States and Mexico), Central America, portions of South America, Japan and a few other countries operate electronics on 100-130V/50-60Hz voltage and frequencies. The rest of the world’s electrical power is in the range of 220-240V/50Hz. Within each of these two electrical preferences are subsets of regions or countries having variations within the voltage and frequencies. You can learn more about country-specific standards in our eBook here.
- Length of cable: Know the necessary length of cable for your application. We carry short to long cables suited for simple to complex conditions.
- Type of cable: The type of cable you require varies depending on your required voltage rating, the environment in which the cord will be used, the required cord flexibility and the temperature range the cord will experience. Common cable types include retractile power cords, three-conductor cords, foil-shielded power cords and unshielded cords.
- Wire gauge: Gauge denotes the cross-sectional areas of a wire and thus helps to determine its capacity for carrying current as well as resistivity. You can learn more about gauges here.
Applications of Custom Power Cords
Power cords are most often used for interior applications in dry and temperature-controlled environments, but it’s important to consider the end-use environment. Power cords in high-activity or partially enclosed settings will need to be composed of more robust materials. Right-angle plugs are an alternative to traditional straight plugs as they can prevent tight cable bends and excessive wear in tight spaces.
Consolidated Electronic Wire & Cable’s custom power cords are critical components in demanding industries. Some of the most common applications include:
- Drilling and milling sites
- Medical devices
- Household appliances
- Hand tools
The unique design of retractable cords allows them to expand in length and quickly bounce back to their original size. Retractile cords are used throughout many industries. They’re commonly used in the medical industry to power devices such as medical imaging equipment, patient monitoring equipment and probes.
Why Use Retractile Cords?
Retractile cords are a versatile solution across many industries. These are some of their key benefits:
- Space-saving: A primary benefit of retractile cords is their space-saving ability. Any area containing a large number of electronic devices—such as hospital rooms, control rooms, or factory floors—quickly runs into a space problem. Retractile cords take up the minimum amount of space possible because the length is minimized when not in use, eliminating safety issues caused by tangled cables such as trips and falls.
- Flexible: Devices with retractile cords can stretch more than five times their retracted length, making them ideal for both short and long-distance applications.
- Mobile: Since retractile cords automatically retract, they eliminate the need to manually wrap the cord, which saves time during medical procedures. They also increase mobility, allowing users to easily move equipment around larger spaces.
One-Stop-Shop Power Cord Manufacturer
Consolidated Electronic Wire & Cable has been a mainstay of the wire and cable industry for more than 100 years. As a single point supplier, partnering with us offers a one-stop-shop for access to a wide range of stock and customized products with flexible manufacturing capacity. Our in-house comprehensive engineering services include support on any project.
At Consolidated Electronic Wire & Cable, we provide extensive custom power cord options, including shielded and unshielded jumper cords, and detachable cords for North American and international applications.
Consolidated Electronic Wire & Cable As Your Power Cord Manufacturer
Consolidated Electronic Wire & Cable specializes in providing high-quality stock, custom power cords, and retractile cords that meet our clients’ needs across multiple industries. We offer a vast selection of braided shield, foil shield, unshielded, SVO, SJOOW, and SOOW retractile cords to meet any specifications. We are ISO 9000:2015 certified and pride ourselves on our rigorous quality control standards. For more information, or to get started on your power cord solution, contact us today.
Multi-Conductor | Electronic Cable | RG Cables | Custom Cables | 16 18 20 AWG | UL Style Cables | Cable Coaxial Broadcast | SJTW & STW Wire | Wire Charts | Flexible Conductor Cable | Copper Wire | VW-1 Wire